Thursday, February 5, 2009

What Happens at Boot Camp?

I think I mentioned that I'm going to boot camp, well lots of people have asked me what we do there, so here goes...

To start with, our trainer is Lucy and she is certified and all that jazz. She has a website too, but it's down right now - should be back up in a couple of days if you want to check it out. http://www.lucysfitness.com/

The class is three nights a week (for six weeks). Each class meets for an hour. There are 8 people in the class.

We meet on Monday nights and start with a weigh-in. Each class member has a weight-loss goal of 5% of their body weight. Of course we all hope to lose more. There is a biggest loser of the week and for the whole six weeks. After the "fun" of weighing in we do some serious core and ab exercises and then run or power walk for 1/2 mile. Then repeat. We use bands, exercise balls, medicine balls, gravity LOL... Monday night is 1/2 outside and 1/2 inside.

We next meet on Tuesday nights and do total body workout with some cardio. We do lot's of hellacious things, similar to what I've seen on the Biggest Loser ha ha!! Tuesday nights is outside at a little park area that has a few items for exercise and Lucy brings bands and cones and medicine balls and her imagination :)

The last class of the week is on Thursday nights and it's cardio, but Lucy still sneaks in some leg and ab work. We are outside on Thursday nights and we make a 2-mile walk/run around her neighborhood. Throughout this she has stations set up where we stop and do more intense cardio and muscle work.

In addition to this we are supposed to do two 30-minute cardio sessions each week on our own. There is also a diet that we follow (more about that another night).

I have to say I am freezing, sore - REALLY sore and my back is killing me, but I love boot camp!! I think it is quite possibly the best thing I have ever done for ME!!! Tonight we completed week 2. I'm excited for the weigh-in Monday night. I really feel like I am doing well.

Now I'm sure some of you are reading this and thinking, "oh there is now way I could do that," or "I could never keep up," or "people would laugh at me," or "I have no stamina, no strenght, etc;" or "I need to lose weight first" - the list goes on... Let me tell you about me. I have had multiple knee surgeries and always have pain. I have serious lower back issues and had surgery a few months ago. I haven't exercised in YEARS!! I am about 135 pounds overweight... my list goes on. But I'm doing it and making it through. No I can't run as fast as some or even run as much as they do and I can't do a true push-up and lots of other things. But I can work hard and do my best. The mental high and the physical high from exercise is FABULOUS!!!!!!

I'll close with a prayer request. Pray that I continue to enjoy the class and get stronger and that my stamina increases.

No comments:

Post a Comment