Thursday, February 19, 2009

Out of the Mouth of David

David is constantly entertaining me with the things he says, so I thought I would share some of his statements from today.

His sense of direction is excellent and he often remembers who lives where as we are driving through town. I mess him up though if we go a different way than usual, which is what I did today. We were heading to Leslie's so David and Jace could play this afternoon and since I was already out and about we weren't going the way we normally do. David starts inquiring is this the "path" to Jace's house? Yes I say. But mom this isn't the path to Jace's house - I don't know where this path goes, but it's not to Jace's. Imagine his surprise when we pull up to Jace's house. Then on the way home he's pointing and telling me when to turn left and right on the path to go home.

David is a pretty strong-willed child as most kids are at this age, especially ones who are spoiled as mine is :-). He has mixed emotions when you tell him what to do and threaten to spank him and then actually do spank him. Sometimes he's totally indifferent, sometimes compliant, but often mad. He used to say to me, "I'm the boss of you," and "I'm gonna spank you!". We've gotten past that, so now if he's frustrated by me and the particular order I'm giving him he will turn his head and make a little exasperated sound and say, "but I'm the boss of my trains!!!". And I'll say yes you are, but I'm the boss of David. This afternoon in particular he was in the kitchen with his tricycle and "crashing" Teddy's food bowl. I got on to him and he said, "well, well... I'm the boss of my tricycle!!!". It is so hard not to laugh. Then I realized I must threaten spanking too much (and probably not enough actual doing). Because I was helping him get dressed and I accidentally elbowed him in the lip - not hard enough to cry, but it hurt. He says to me, "mommy you don't hurt lips, if you do that again I'm gonna spank you, do you understand me?!!".

Another thing I must do alot of is tell him "it's ok"... maybe I do this when he's hurt or scared or whatever. Twice today as I was talking to him about something he said, "mommy, it's ok." And the tone of voice he uses is the sweetest and most compassionate thing you've ever heard coming out of a three-year-old boy's mouth.

Last is on manners. Like most Southern girls manners were a MAJOR MAJOR part of my upbringing and of course I want the same for David. At this age and actually for quite a while now, we've been working on please, thank-you, no thank you, yes mam, yes sir, etc. David knows his manners, but is not consistent with all of them. The one he knows the best though is "no thank you". What's sad, in a funny kind of way, is that he used to say "no hank you" and now he says it correctly. I miss the hank way of saying it!!

All for now - I have Bunco tonight and need to go finish Dan's dinner before I head out for a fun night with the girls.

BYL,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment