Sunday, February 22, 2009

What a Great Weekend!

There are many ways to define a great weekend. I'm sure if you close your eyes for a minute you can think of your "dream" weekend or you can remember one that was really special. This weekend for me is not one that would exemplify my dream weekend nor was it one with any real special memories. Nonetheless it was a great weekend.

Friday night I cooked Tequila Lime Chicken for Dan and I. David went to bed early and my friend Leslie came over to hang out and to ride with me to Best Buy. You're probably thinking, ok - what's the catch? HA HA - there's not one. It was a great night in it's simplicity. A good meal, a little O'Reilly Factor while we ate, some talking with a dear friend and then a little shopping.

Before I tell you about Saturday let me tell you about our house of chaos and clutter. Dan and I are both notorious pack rats, granted of different type stuff, but we are both guilty of keeping too much and I must admit I like to shop and I pre-buy stuff all the time when I find it on sale. Add to that, we have a 3-year-old and a dog in the house who have many possessions of their own. Combine all this with the fact that we would much rather play and hang out or even work than organize... Don't misunderstand - our house is clean, it's just cluttered! So Dan came up with an idea that we each pick a "corner" per day and organize that area. I thought it was a great idea because it made it seem less overwhelming and more of the "eat the elephant one bite at a time" plan. He came up with this plan towards the end of the week so I piddled at something on Friday, but didn't really "jump in". His whole philosophy is everything needs a "home", which is so simple. Our problem is too much junk so when you bring something else into the house - even groceries - there is no room for it to have a home. Isn't that sad - and we live in a nice-sized-home, like 2500+ sq. ft.

So Saturday we slept late, as we do most weekends. David is such a sweetie now that he's gotten to be a "big boy" in regards to letting us sleep. He wakes around 7:00 or so and as long as you give him chocolate milk and turn on my TV he'll lay here and cuddle and let me sleep or he'll ask me can he play trains in his room. Now that extra few hours of sleep are not undisturbed or terribly peaceful, HA HA, we are talking about a 3 & 1/2-year-old boy, but it is still some great dozing and drifting in and out of sleep. And for the luxury of sleeping in - I'll take it!!

So when we finally got up on Saturday I made whole wheat pancakes for breakfast and then we decided to pick a corner and get started. I'm not great at the corner or the little area concept, I tend to get into it when I start. So, I ended up doing the kitchen and dining room, while Dan worked out in his shop. It took several hours and I filled a large rolling trash can with recycling and another with actual trash. I was so excited and when Dan came in to check it out he was like a little boy at Christmas. For those of you that don't know, we have a small galley style kitchen so space is at a true premium - most of our cabinet space ends up being full of cooking items and small appliances - we love to cook so we have a whole assortment. And the big thing is - we don't have a pantry!! How I missed that when we looked at this house, I'll never know HA HA. But it is quite a challenge. The only way to function is with organization. And since we had been failing at that, everything that didn't fit in the cabinets was piled on my dining room table. You can imagine how "attractive" that was when someone entered my home. Well after hours of working on it and sorting and organizing, etc. It works!! It looks great, everything has a home, you can open cabinets and find things and see what you have and my dining room table is empty except for a flower arrangement!!!!!!

David was such a good kid during all this - he would come in the kitchen periodically and "help me". He loves to take something somewhere - like "David put this in your room, the laundry room, my study", etc. He feels like such a big-boy helper when he gets to do this. He also played trains and cars and watched a movie and went outside to help daddy make fire (Dan was welding) and his favorite thing of the day was digging shells. He found the bucket of shells that he and Emily had picked up at the beach and he took them out to his sandbox and buried them and dug them back up. It doesn't take much to thrill a little boy :-). Despite our kitchen being small it has one redeeming factor in it's view of our backyard. I could watch him playing in the sandbox while I kept at my organizing.

Later that afternoon we "called it a day" and then got ready to go out. Our sitter arrived and Dan and I headed out to a party with some friends. We all brought munchies and played Wii and Rummy and visited. It was a really fun time and so nice to be out with all adults. None of our friends in this particular group have small kids - there kids are all grown so we didn't even spend all night talking about kids!! Amazing. Now don't get me wrong - I LOVE talking about David and really enjoy talking with my friends who have small kids too, but Saturday night had a charm all it's own. I think the adult beverages helped too :-). It was 2:00am by the time we got home and the sitter left so we knew we were going to be worn out on Sunday.

I stayed in bed until after 11:00!!! Absolutely sinful and wonderful. Once we got up though and got moving we decided to pick another "corner". Dan headed to the garage and I headed into the master bedroom. I admit - I had a little bit of an ulterior motive in choosing the bedroom because my DVR is in there and I knew I could watch some of my shows while I worked. And boy I worked - so many hours in fact that I watched 8 shows!!!!! But - our bedroom looks great. I have just been sitting here and looking around the room and grinning. Dan kicked butt in the garage and actually in two corners of the Florida room as well. He even organized my stuff from those two rooms and "set-me-up" with a closet all my own for the stuff I pre-buy when I find deals!!! Oddly enough there are closets in our garage, but he's been using them all for "man stuff" - until today. Now one of them is mine - yay!! That's true love!

David was great today as well. Pretty much doing what he did yesterday, with the exception of not going outside today (too cold). His favorite thing of the day was exercising with daddy - it was so cute. Then he picked up my hand weights and said he was doing mommy exercise and he started bouncing around like I do during Step Aerobics on the Wii and pumping his arms up and down. Really cute - should have taken video!!!

Now it's Monday and David's at school and I'm getting the laundry going and then I'll spend the day working. My desk is full again - I swear Dan adds to it when I'm not looking :-)

BYL,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment