Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy Mardi Gras - It's Fat Tuesday!!

Ok so I think I've told you guys that David is going to school 5 days a week now. Work is getting busier and busier and Dan's acquiring new property right and left so I needed the time to get things done. Well the school morning session ends at 12:30 and that's when I had typically picked David up. However, on random occasions I would leave him for afternoon session. It turns out that my sleep-deprived son who hasn't napped for me in over a year will nap at school. He said "Ms. Vicky says we can sleep in the sun." Which means in the daylight. So I started leaving him more often for nap time. Still niggling guilt at the back of my mind though because I'm away from him all day. But in all actuality if he was here and still napping we'd still be "apart" for the same amount of time. Then yesterday and today when I picked him up in the afternoon he didn't want to leave and this afternoon his teacher pulled me aside to tell me how great he does in the afternoons. Great attitude, receptive to everything they do, etc. Different from how he is in the morning. Well this tells me three things - 1) he is sleep deprived!! (of course I knew that) 2) he loves being at school 3) being happy at school is much better than watching TV here while mommy works.

Today was Fat Tuesday - the final day of Mardi Gras celebration and tomorrow is Ash Wednesday. Growing up in Mobile and then Montgomery I have experienced my share of Mardi Gras in Mobile. When I was little my grandmother's organization used to do a parade and she rode on a float - it was awesome as a little kid!!!! I haven't celebrated much Mardi Gras since my grandparents and mom passed away and I've gotten older, etc. But today my friend Lauren (who is from Mobile) threw a Mardi Gras party. I went without David because I still love seeing all my mommy friends. It was such a fun gathering. Food served was traditional: King Cake, red beans & rice and shrimp & grits and Krispy Kreme bread pudding and lots of other snacks. There were beads and moon pies and masks for the kids. I am so thankful to have such great friends and I really enjoyed the party today. Aside from the good friends, great food and cute kids, it was a bit nostalgic for me and brought back some great memories. And it seemed appropriate to have some good memories because this Friday is the 10-year-anniversary of my mom's death and she was a Mardi Gras nut!! I need to see if I can find some old pics of her and my dad getting dressed up to go to the balls. If I can find them I'll scan them in so you can see them. So thanks Lauren for helping remember and celebrate and not just be sad this week!!

Tonight was boot camp and boy was Lucy (trainer) kicking butt tonight. We focused on upper body with some abs and cardio thrown in for good measure. My arms are already killing me and I usually don't get sore until the next day. I hope I can move tomorrow :-) because I have a ton of work to do.

Emily is trying out for cheerleader this week at her school. They practice every afternoon from 3:15 - 5:30. She enjoyed it yesterday, but was tired!! I didn't talk to her tonight. The actual try-outs are this Friday afternoon. She's really excited and I am too. I had alot of fun cheerleading and I think it's great exercise and teamwork, etc. She wants to do this instead of softball so I hope it works out. They'll post the results sometime after 7:00 on Friday night.

Well I think that's enough for tonight. I need to go concentrate on the President's speech and Jindal's speech after. I recorded them while at boot camp tonight.

BYL,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment