Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sleep Eludes Me Tonight

Well it's the wee morning hours of Tuesday night / Wednesday morning and I am having a hard time getting "settled". Of course this happens when I have a busy day planned tomorrow. The paperwork is piled on my desk and I have to finish the tax stuff and get it off the the accountant. And yes, I know, this sleeplessness happens because I have that type of day coming up tomorrow; and I'm thinking about it rather than sleeping. Combine this with thoughts of my dad's upcoming cancer surgery and the 10-year-anniversary of my mom's death by cancer, which are going to be on the same day... So, I'm just having a reflective night.

On a lighter note David just cracks me up. He is truly an interesting kid. This morning he wanted his Leapster in the car on the way to school. He starts playing it in the house and carries it outside. It's in his hands as I'm maneuvering the straps on his car seat (still in 5-point-harness) and since he's trying to concentrate on his game I'm kind of in the way. Nevertheless, I think he's indifferent to me. Wrong... He turns to me and says to me in a mildly exasperated tone, "Goodness gracious, mommy. You're driving me crazy!". I just had to laugh. I mean what do you say to that. I know he got it from me - they repeat EVERYTHING you say!! David had a fun day at school today - this week is "R". Rockets and robots abound... Since he inherited his dad's love of rockets and Wall-E is his favorite movie right now - this is a big week for him. Other than his true love of trains - this stuff is his favorite.

Emily is having a good week too. She's gearing up for cheer and dance try-outs next week. This past Saturday we went shopping for white tennis shoes and black shorts. You have to wear a "uniform" each day. Her favorite thing of this week though is a new phone. Hers is horrible - will not hold a charge at all. And in her opinion OLD because it doesn't have a camera and other fun features and it is "old-style" texting. So for Valentine's her mom and step-dad got her a LG Scoop. She is thrilled!! We get to see her tomorrow and have her through dinner. She called yesterday and asked would I pick her up after school one day this week and let her come over for a little while.

I'm watching American Idol from earlier tonight - the first 12 of the 36 are performing tonight. I must say this has been a disappointing night to me. I like two of the guys and that's it. Hopefully the other 24 will be better - otherwise it's going to be a long season.

On a rambly note tonight I have a little something to vent about. Or maybe a few little somethings. Actually as I'm typing this I'm deciding maybe I'll just do a little list of things that irritate me.
  • making a commitment and then breaking it at the last minute without a "real" reason
  • complaining about something over and over, but doing NOTHING to fix it
  • deciding to not be friends with someone over their political views
  • demeaning southern culture - you can think it's different, interesting, etc. but don't demean it
  • not listening when someone is talking to you - especially when they are telling you of something important to them - pretending you're listening is just as bad - you can always tell
  • not taking care of your family in regards to the little things; learn their love language and perform according
  • negativity
  • a sense of entitlement
  • biased media (I'm a mass comm major so this really gets me)
  • talking to people in a condescending manner
  • lack of empathy

Well I guess that's enough venting for one night. Sorry to be so blah tonight, it's just one of those times.

BYL,

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment