Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Late Night "Wind Down"

I have missed blogging the last couple of days. It's amazing what relaxation therapy it has become for me in such a very short time. It's funny to me how each of us have our own unique way of relaxing or winding down. Give me the heating pad, a show on the DVR and my laptop and I'm happy.

David and I had a fun day today with some friends. We met up for coffee and play and then a couple of us went shopping after that. We don't get to play as much as we used to now that David is older and in school more often, so it was a real treat for us to see everyone today. We've all been friends since our kids were very small and it's really amazing to watch how much they have grown and to see the new ones in the group. Well I say new - they are all almost 1 now. My how time flies as my great-grandmother used to say.

Tonight I have the added plus of a sweet little warm body against my leg. David is having a hard time sleeping so he climbed in here with me. David's essentially given up naps for over a year now, but on occasion when he stays at preschool through nap time he will actually sleep and oddly the past two days here at home he has napped. But what that means is he can't fall asleep at night. And then tomorrow morning at 7:00 when we get up to get ready for school he'll be tired and cranky and then need the afternoon nap tomorrow and then won't sleep tomorrow night... Vicious cycle. We have had a myriad of sleep problems with David since he gave up his naps - to the point of numerous consultations with his pediatrician, trying melatonin supplements and even trying prescriptions - nothing works. We do the whole bedtime routine - the same exact routine we have done since he was a baby. It worked wonders until he moved from his crib to his bed. I stressed about this for quite awhile, but have realized he'll sleep when he's tired. And 99% of the time he goes to sleep on his own, in his own bed. The rare nights he ends up sleeping in here are as much a special treat for me as for him. He also, on occasion, comes in here during the wee hours of the morning and cuddles with me. I must admit - I enjoy those mornings. So I've decided to enjoy these special sweet times with my normally wild and active little boy because I know they'll be gone all too soon.

Boot camp is going great. The sense of accomplishment is such a high. And the amazing energy I have now that I am exercising is wonderful. And the best part - I have lost 5 & 1/2 pounds in 2 weeks!! There is of course a bad side - SORE MUSCLES... but they get better and the heating pad and alieve are great inventions. I think I mentioned to you guys about having back surgery not to long ago - well I have been worried how boot camp would go due to that. It's not really a problem!! There have only been a couple things that really hurt and scared me, so I just don't do those. Overall it's just great total body and core strengthening and cardio.

Valentine's Day is coming up and I'm a "sucker" for holiday's so I'm looking forward to it. I've gotten Dan and the kids their cards and gifts and now I'm trying to decide on a fun family meal for Saturday night. Emily's all-time favorite is Dan's homemade chicken fingers - we only have them a couple of times a year so I think they'll make a fun special meal for this Valentine's. I think the reason I love all holidays is because of my mom. She passed away when I was 26 and prior to that she made every holiday special. Even when I was grown and owned my own home she still had something for me on every holiday and even made me an Easter basket every year! So I plan to do the same with the kids. Family traditions are great, especially fun ones like this :). Do you guys have any special things planned for Valentine's? With the kids? With the hubby? Leave me a comment and tell me about them.

BYL,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment