Monday, August 8, 2011

Geography Boxes

I am a blog troll :-) that means I read tons, but never comment. I probably should take a moment or two to do because I find the greatest ideas and then "borrow" them. One of the things I came across recently was geography boxes at All of a Kind Family. I was impressed and thought David would love the idea. He is very hands-on learner. He also loves to play-act with his toys; so the thought of the two of us setting up our animals or people or staging battles, etc. brought a smile to my face.
Most folks separate their boxes by continent. We are studying American History this year and since this is our country I decided it deserved it's own box. Now I have the idea, the box theme... just need stuff to put in it. I was texting to my co-hort in homeschool and shopping :-), Leslie and said I wish I could buy a geography box. Well evidently her hands flew and she found out you could in fact buy a downloadable kit from a homeschool Montessori mom. I immediately purchased the US Kit and spent a little time on her blog and looked at examples of her geography kits she uses for her kids. What inspiration.


A day or so later I started my project. Printing, printing, printing... Laminating, laminating, laminating... Not for the faint of heart! I also began sorting through my various history books to choose a few for the box. Next came a little Amazon shopping for Toobs. I have ordered several US related sets to add to our box.

I can't wait to add the figurines and pick up various items as I see them. A few things I have in so far are:
State flash cards
State flags game
US animals game
US plants game
US landmarks game
Capitals game
Indian books
Declaration of Ind.
Christopher Columbus book
Presidents game and flash cards
Maps
David's state notebook (we are learning 1 per week)
Here are a few pictures of my box so far.
This is the look when the box is closed.


Here is an inside pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment