Tuesday, July 6, 2010

newsflash... "soccer mom" loves Twilight saga

A year or so ago, about the time Twilight came out and was becoming so popular I bought the book. Emily mentioned that she wanted to read it and I had heard a little mild controversy so I felt it would be best if I checked it out first. Then of course I had to check out the rest of the series ;-).

It's a great fiction series. I must admit I am a pretty critical reader and I don't like Vampire stuff (not a Buffy fan) and not crazy about shape shifters or wolves or any of that. And I don't find Edward or Jacob "hot". But I do love to read and when a story pulls you in and you lose yourself and you can't wait to finish and pick up the next book in the series and when the last one is over you're sad... That's my definition of a great series!!!!

I'm not sure exactly what the "negative nancy's" out there are fussing about. Here are a few points I find compelling.
  • They don't believe in sex until marriage, yes they "make-out", but no sex
  • Edward doesn't want Bella to become a vampire because he doesn't want to kill her soul (not because he's controlling as some bloggers have suggested)
  • Edward wants Bella out of town/out of his life/away from the reservation/etc. - so she won't get hurt - duh (not because he's controlling)
  • Edward loves her enough to let his arch enemy take care of her when needed
  • Arch enemy as in Jacob and not arch enemies because of Bella, but because of history. The shape shifter/wolves were created to destroy vampires...

I know there are many more points, but the puppy is chewing my foot and now I'm distracted, LOL. Anyway - the books/movies are fine. Get over yourselves and enjoy fiction for fiction!!!

Oh, I went to the midnight release last week. Me, Emily, Leslie, Kim, Hope and Hayden and we had a blast!! Team Edward for me; Team Jacob for Emily and everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment