Friday, February 26, 2010

This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!!!!!!!! This is one of my favorite hymns that I feel like I have known my whole life. It is based on Ps. 118:24. And no, I didn't just happen to know that, but google did LOL.

I woke up this morning in a winter funk. It's cold, my foot is killing me, David is whining and I miss my mom. I started a fire, took a pain pill, Dan took "whiny" to school and... I still miss my mom :). So then the hymn above popped into my head - thanks God for the kick in the tush.

So I decided I would have a happy and rejoicing day about my mom and share with you a little about her.
  • she had a green thumb, heck a whole green hand
  • she made cookies or cupcakes for every school event from preschool through graduation
  • she loved to shop
  • we talked on the phone everyday once I moved out
  • she loved coffee
  • our Boxer's (dogs) were family too
  • she was a huge Elvis fan and owned every album
  • music played at our house all the time (thankfully she more albums than Elvis LOL)
  • she loved to watch musicals and old Doris Day movies
  • she loved me unconditionally
  • after Christmas we would put a discarded Christmas tree in the back yard and decorate it with handmade/edible (for birds) ornaments
  • she and my favorite aunt talked on the phone Early every Saturday morning
  • the two of them also loved to go birding (bird watching)
  • she loved to entertain friends and family
  • she had a whole gift room and she would make baskets as gifts made up of things her friends (or mine) loved
  • clearance watch out - we were there!
  • she could bake anything and would often do it at the same time - we might have a jelly roll, pralines, divinity and chocolate chip cookies going all at once
  • she always helped out at church with our Youth group - driving us places, setting up Bible Bowl, etc.
  • we all loved seafood and would often have it instead of traditional ham or turkey for the holidays
  • she made the best oyster stew and west indies salad
I feel like I could go on for hours. And what I've written seems great, but inadequate - how do you share everything about one of the most important people in your life? So I decided you can't. You just share a few smiles with friends and Praise God for having blessed you with such a wonderful mother and leaving you with a heart full of memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment