Wednesday, February 3, 2010

a four-year-old's mind

Some days I think oh no - he's gonna need special help. Like when we say get xzy from your room and he comes back and says he can't find it. We say it's on the floor by your bed in front of the batman house. He comes back and says he can't find it. We go in and show him and he laughs and says oh I didn't see that. And this happens often! Or when we say how do you say hello in Spanish? Can you count to 20? What letter is that? And he goes, uh - I don't know. And we know he knows, ugh. Maybe it's all the times he has hit his head while playing :)

Then we have days when he seems to be a normal, bright, curious boy.
  • As we were waking up Monday morning he said is this a school day? No, I said. He says why is it not a school day for four days? Oh... I was surprised that he was aware of the days. So then I explained about missing school and being sick with strep, etc. That satisfied him.
  • The other morning as we were driving to school he said mom pick me up at nap time today. And I said ok before or after nap because your teacher would rather I not come at nap time. And he said well let me think about it. Before nap we have lunch, outside, movie, nap and then after lunch we have snack, outside, toys. He got that exactly right and in the right order.
  • David brings home his worksheets and art work daily and one of the things we do each afternoon is go through his folder and talk about his stuff. They have progressed from coloring, to matching, to sorting, to counting, to handwriting and now they have started reading comprehension or rather listening comprehension since the teacher reads the little story to them.
  • The curiosity is wonderful and he is a sponge just like his daddy. He would much rather watch "How It's Made", "The Weather Channel" or anything to do with space than he would cartoons. And he'd rather make up stories with his cars and trains than play the Wii. (Now don't get me wrong - he still loves his cartoon time and his Wii time, but thankfully they don't "control"... if you know what I mean.)

A couple of funny stories and then I must go and get my work done.

Dan and I have our own offices here at home and thus we have our own computers and printers. He comes into my office yesterday and says look what I printed. It is 5 sheets of coloring (scribbling) by David. Evidently after getting paper from daddy's printer to color, he decided to put it back and was smart enough to put the pic face down so daddy couldn't tell until he printed.

Each evening as I cook dinner David always comes in the kitchen to help a little with the "recipe" - everything is the "recipe". Usually his help comes in the form of adding something in the pot for me or a little stirring or rinsing something in the sink. Well last night I was cooking later than usual and David was on to snack time, popcorn, (he eats much earlier than Dan and I). Anyway - he comes in the kitchen and I'm cooking and he reaches his hand up to stir and instead drops in a handful of popcorn. He said this way your recipe will taste really yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment