Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pigs, Gators and Tigers

Well I had (have) the swine flu. I think I mentioned to some of you about the horrendous headache I had that would not go away. Along with other cold symptoms. I chalked it all up to a variety of things. But then mid-week last week I started feeling exhausted, achy, feverish and nauseous. So Friday morning I went to doc and tested positive. However, he and I both felt it had been over 48 hours since the symptoms had started, which made Tamiflu not helpful. So I had to deal with the it full force. I am feeling better today and have been fever free for 24 hours. It was by no means a "walk in the park", but it was also not a big deal as the media make it out to be. Obviously if you are immuno-compromised or have underlying conditions, etc. it could be a lot more serious, but if you are just a regular "jane" or "joe" - there are many worse things.

Dan was wonderful while I was sick and so was Emily. They cooked, cleaned, kept David away from me and took him to his soccer game, etc. My husband is a wonderful man, but you usually have to ask for his help - whatever you ask he'll do with a smile on his face, but you have to ask! This past several days he's taking the initiative and just done things - I love it and I love him :) One of the best things he did was letting me sleep 'till 11:15 on Sunday and then I woke to a clean kitchen and a homemade omelet, which was a little slice of heaven. Emily bless her heart is always a help to me around here - unloading the dishwasher, folding clothes, picking up all the David clutter and playing with him; she is great!

Dan went to his bi-annual gun-show in Kentucky weekend before last and had a great time. If you are a gun-enthusiast, especially a machine-gun one the show is the ULTIMATE. Here is a link if you are interested in that kind of things. www.machinegunshoot.com

David and I went to Birmingham last week for his ear-surgery follow-up. He received a great report, doc was thrilled. Pathology showed a benign osteoma - Praise God and thanks for the prayers. We assumed it was benign, but seeing it in black and white makes you feel great. The incision site looks good and doc said inside the ear you almost couldn't tell he'd even had surgery. We will go back in 6-weeks for the follow-up hearing test. The hearing should be totally back to normal in his left ear, but we need to make sure. Other than that he is just fine. Still loving school and loving soccer. He's asking to play basketball as well and our local Upward league starts at 4 so I think I'll register him for this winter.

Emily's football season dance-team obligations are over - now on to basketball. We are awaiting the schedule for that, should start anytime now. They were registered to compete in a local competition at the Fairgrounds this past Sunday, but the organization in charge cancelled it due to swine flu... I don't know if too many participating schools had cancelled or they were just nervous? Who knows, the girls are enjoying the break though. Report cards come out this week and I am anxious to see her grades. Her worst class she has really really struggled this 9-weeks, but is pretty sure she pulled it up to a B, a "by the skin of the teeth" B, but a B none-the-less. We'll take it - LOL!!!!

I started back into the grind of PT yesterday, main goal continual recovery from back surgery and treatment of the muscles that are inflamed and knotted from the trauma. Same place and therapist I've used before, which I love. The part about it that I don't love is the time it takes and the pain that goes with. I am usually there between 2 - 3 hours each session and I go 3 times a week. This will probably go on awhile - like months. UGH!! The therapist does acupuncture, massage, chiropractic manipulations, exercise, e-stem and heat. I love that new PT's are multi-trained.

So my poor Tigers, what happened to them this Saturday. Losing to the Razorbacks was depressing enough, but they are a great team and I'm sad they lost to Florida this past Saturday. But losing to Kentucky - seriously. And did you watch the game? Who took over Todd's body - he couldn't complete a pass to save his life. And the penalties - you can't win games that way. UGH - it was depressing to watch. A friend of mine had invited me to go with, but I had to decline because of the swine flu. I don't know if being in the stadium would have been better or worse. We were texting during the game and she said it was worse in person :-(... All I have to say is War Eagle and hopefully there will a better showing against LSU this weekend.

Ok - Florida Gators... If you've known me for any length of time, at least back into the '90's you'll know my intense dislike for FL. Games against them in the Bowden era were some of my most favorite football memories - especially the Nix to Sanders in the corner of the end zone... The "Touchdown Auburn" print that many of you die-hard fans also have in your offices. I'm looking at mine now, LOL. Anyway - I know a major part of my dislike was due to Steve Spurrier. I won't go into the details, but I just didn't like him. Still don't, actually. But this years FL Gators team is a joy to watch and Tim Tebow is a QB and young man that inspires. If our sons could be good men like that, they will be joys!!! So I guess I'll have to be pulling for them a smidgen for the rest of the season.

Wow - if you've made it this far I am impressed. This was pretty long and rambled quite a bit. Anyhoo - that's an update in our home. What's new with yours? I'm off now to a fresh cup of coffee and a HUGE pile of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment