Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Cough, Cough Go Away!!

So I'm thinking of just digging and hole and burying myself in it. I cannot stop coughing - like not sleeping, choking, can't breathe, throw-up coughing - constantly!!!! UGH - as my mother used to say "I've had it up to HERE!!!". I guess I should back up a little first. I mentioned in the last post that I had come down with a cold - aside from getting the laryngitis with it I thought it was a typical viral deal. I even talked about it with the ENT and he too thought viral. With that in mind I just went about my normal routine after a couple of days down. My brother made it in town Friday around lunch time and we planned our weekend with games, eating, shopping, movies, etc. But by Saturday night I felt like death. On Sunday I got up and went to Pri-Med and found out I am sick - like for real sick. White count very elevated - chest x-ray ok though so it's not pneumonia. Bad case of bronchitis. So after a breathing treatment and an antibiotic shot and $100+ worth of prescriptions (with insurance and with a coupon) I am on the road to recovery. Or so I hope. I actually feel marginally better, but I cannot stop coughing and that is keeping me from sleeping and actually keeping the whole family from sleeping. I feel like I felt when I had whooping cough last year - the cough reflex does not go away, no matter what I do.

Well I guess that's enough whining :). Let's see what's going on with everyone else...

Emily's ultrasound results came back and showed no goiter and no masses - thank you GOD and all my prayer warriors out there. Next step is to see the pediatric endocrinologist at Children's in Birmingham on Thursday. Her mom and I will take her to the appointment together.

David, I think I reported, saw his ENT last week on Monday and all was fine (surgery follow-up). Thursday he saw his pediatrician for his 4-year-old check-up. After the usual height and weight and physical exam we discussed his behavior and not-sleeping, etc. She had some very positive things to say and prescribed for me a new sleeping medicine for him (this is the 3rd thing we will try). The weird thing was his ears and throat looked fine. Then he blew his nose towards the end and when he turned around I saw bloody drainage coming out of his ear. I called her back in and she looked in the ear and it was full of the stuff. So we left with an antibiotic. I just can't believe that it's been only a month since his 4th surgery and we already have another ear issue. And it's not getting better, or it doesn't seem so. He's been on the antibiotic twice a day since Thursday and the ear is still draining and he cannot stop messing with it. I looked inside it this morning and I see something in there. The tube already coming out???? The osteoma (bony growth thing)???? A foreign object???? Seriously - this ear thing is driving me batty!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say I'll call the ENT today and assume we'll go in to see him.

Dan's fine, just working way too hard and too many hours. His vegetable garden is doing great and he laid sod in the back yard, which is a dramatic improvement around the swing set.

I guess that's all my whining for today - thanks for listening and thanks in advance to my loved ones and prayer warriors out there!!! I know you are thinking of us and that means a ton.

No comments:

Post a Comment