Thursday, December 31, 2009

Bad Economy, Bailout, Health Care..

All those things have pretty much sounded like buzz words to me. I mean I know what they are and what's going on, I watch the news regularly and my husband and some of my friends do to so we discuss it. But I guess I live in such an insulated world that I didn't really "get it". We have just gone on over here as if all was the same, not paying attention to grocery prices, gas prices, retail prices, etc. Well that was my first mistake :) Next we haven't adjusted our rental rates up to go with the increase in costs of supplies, gas, etc. That was my second mistake! And yes "my" mistake because that part of the business applies to me.

So here we sat 10 days ago really looking at the numbers and FREAKING OUT!!! Nothing we could say or do would change it. And Christmas already bought & under the tree (over the top as my usual) and vacation already planned (again over the top). We decided to tighten the belt straps and "get religion", albeit a little late, at least we now have it. So out comes the "tight" budget, we dip into savings and we cancel our vacation. I'm such a baby, that part was really hard for me. I was so looking forward to it. But - the wonderful thing is that we hadn't told the kids so they had NO IDEA when we cancelled it.

Now - it's New Year's Eve and rather than celebrating at our vacation destination, we are home. But you know what, it turns out I am really glad we didn't go. We've supplemented with lots of family hang out and game time and it has been really great!! The best part has been having Emily here for a week straight. Usually when we have her for that long it's because we are out of town. Her being here for this long and just hanging out at home and being together is really nice.

So Happy New Year everyone. Obviously my New Year's resolution is to become a much better employee of our business. New hours are 9:00 - 3:00 each day, until further notice LOL. What are your resolutions this year? Leave me a comment and let me know what you're planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment