Monday, August 17, 2009

Back Surgery Part 2

Well I think the last update I gave you guys I was heading to the surgeon to go over my latest MRI and decide what the next step would be. Well that next step is surgery again. I know many of you are saying - what - again? Don't do it, etc. So let me give you a little info.

I knew that this time the pain felt different. It was as intense, but just in a slightly different area and different sciatic nerve reactions. The first surgery was to repair L5, which had a herniated disc and broken piece was pressing the sciatic nerve. That surgery worked - that problem is still fixed. I mean it will never be what a person with a healthy back has, but for me it's fixed :)

As soon as doc and I sat down to go over the new MRI he said, you did a really accurate job of describing how this is different and you are exactly right. The problem this time is L4. Same deal - herniated and broken piece pressing sciatic nerve. So - we have to go in there and get that piece off the nerve.

The MRI showed us that L3 also looks really bad. The Degenerative Disc Disease hard at work. Sadly - there is nothing he can do for that until it actually breaks. We are going to work very closely together after this surgery recovery to try and insure I don't herniate this one. But I would assume at some point I will be having that one repaired as well.

My surgery will be done on Monday the 24th and I'll stay in the hospital 1 night. From what I went through last time I won't be going into this surprised by the level of intense pain that follows surgery. It was horrible, but it does end (after a couple of months). And then things are so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment