Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sometimes It Should Be All About You!!

So I think I am probably a typical SAHM wife and mother. 100% of my days and nights are filled with doing for my family. As most of you my typical day is mommy, wife, cook, cleaner, nurse, taxi driver and in my case employee since I also work here for our business. And don't misunderstand I love all those titles - I have a wonderful life - God has and continues to bless me in the greatest way. But (you knew there was going to be a but didn't you?!)...

Sometimes for sanity, peace, further contentment, identity, etc. it should be about me. So I decided that after completing my 6-week boot camp that I would "pamper" myself a little. I came up with this idea after being so proud of myself for completing the boot camp and doing pretty well. Dan and I had talked about setting short-term goals and rewarding myself when I met them. So in that vein I had a pedicure and dinner with my girlfriends on Friday night. Saturday I went and had my hair cut and highlighted and then had a manicure and then had my make-up done and purchased all new stuff (which I did truly need anyway). Keeping in this pampering myself theme I had a massage scheduled for today, but when I got there and they saw this new flair-up with my back they couldn't do it (I see the doc Wed. and hopefully get this resolved). So instead I went to the tanning salon and tanned and bought a package so I can get some color. Wow - I have never treated myself like this, I'm so excited!!!! I mean I have had all these things done before, but never together. I think my last make-up purchase was 2 years ago, my last massage 3 years ago, my last manicure - who knows, my last pedicure October and my last trip to the tanning salon was 8 years ago... The only thing that I stay fairly current on is my hair and heck, I was 2 months over-due on that.

It amazes me how we like to keep our homes clean, cook nice meals for our family, dress our children in cute clothes, keep their hair cut, nails in great shape, etc. but we tend to neglect ourselves. So my new "spring resolution" is to treat myself better. As I talked about last post the new boot camp session started tonight (Monday) and with going 6 times a week I will have 36 sessions with my trainer. When (not if!!) I complete this session I will be pampering myself again.

The thing I have not neglected for myself is time. I have a weekly Bible study with a group of great women, I have a monthly Bunco night with another group of great women and I have random shopping trips and an occasional dinner with the girls.

And you know what? I have realized beyond a shadow of a doubt that these things make me a better wife and mother. When you have the chance to be who you are (in my case Michelle LOL) and not be mommy or wife it is a good thing. Don't get me wrong - those two are my favorite and preferred identities, but sometimes I just need to be me!!!

You want to know something else about all this "me" stuff? My husband loves it and he's happier when I do it because I'm happier. It's also great for David because I am rejuvenated after taking time for myself and that makes the time with him better. My stress level is so low and I am just so darn happy!!!

Well enough about just me HA HA. I do have a David story to share with you tonight...

David has difficulty listening, not from a physical point of view - totally from a hard-headed point of view. The biggest issue we have and his teacher has is listening. We talk about it alot and he usually tells me "listening is hard!". Well today when I picked him up from preschool he came running to me glowing with a big grin on his face. I'm thinking aww, isn't this sweet, he's so happy to see me. No - his excitement was for himself. He yells out to me, "mommy, I listened today!!!!!!!". He was so proud of himself. I looked to his teacher for confirmation and she nodded and said he had a very good day. I am so proud of him, maybe he is finally getting it. Dan made a really big "to-do" over him this evening about it. We are hoping this positive attention and reinforcement will help this behavior continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment